So you're going to a wedding and you have to make a speech, but you sure as hell know that you don't want it to be a boring old speech like you know every one else's is going to be like. You want people to remember your speech and rightly so. It doesn't matter if you're the father of the bride, the best man or just a friend wishing the lucky couple well, making a memorable speech and making people laugh will add something to their wedding day.
Funny and vulgar are two different things. A lot of people, especially men tend to think that to be funny you have to be vulgar and rude and embarrass the newly weds, this is not true. My brother recently had the honor of being best man at his best friends wedding and the night before the big day, I think he was more nervous then the groom. My brother has always been an out going guy, but when it came to making a best man speech, he just couldn't think of what he wanted to say and he was nervous as heck having to stand up in front of all those guests and give a heart felt speech.
It's been said that people fear public speaking more then any other one thing in life. In this article I'm going to give you a few tips I passed on to my brother that you can take and turn your speech into something memorable. With these tips, I assure you, you won't embarrass yourself in front of the whole wedding party.
- Tip 1 Stand up while speaking Always, always stand up when giving a best man speech or a toast. Make sure you have the gatherings attention first before you speak, and the best way to do that is to stand up and wait for quiet. Standing up is the first rule of any good public speaking and a wedding is no different.
- Tip 2 Plan what you want to say Never try and wing the speech. Giving a best man speech needs to be planned and written down well in advance. My brother started working on giving his best man speech weeks in advance. Unless you are a really confident public speaker, this is the best way to make sure you say everything you wanted to say.
- Tip 3 Practice makes perfect! Practice your speech until you know it off by heart. There is nothing worse then giving a best man speech and having to look down at your notes constantly. Fidgeting with paper is a big no no.
- Tip 4 Keep it clean If you and the best man have known each other for a while and you've had some wild times together, this is not the time to air his dirty laundry. People think that giving a best man speech gives them the right to embarrass the groom and upset the bride, this is not the case. Don't mention the trip to the strip joint or anything of that sort.
- Tip 5 Keep it short No one wants to be bored for hours with your speech. Make it short and to the point and don't forget to add emotion when giving your best man speech. The wedding isn't about you, it's about the bride and groom, don't forget that.
I hope these tips have given you some pointers on what to do when giving your best man speech.Good luck!