Every couple wants wonderful photos of their wedding day that capture the celebration, details, romance and beauty. Here are a few tips for a successful photo session:
1. Hire a professional qualified wedding photographer. Don't be tempted to hire "Uncle Harry" to do your wedding photos. Focus on quality wedding photography. At the end in won't matter how much you save or spend if you end up with bad photos or no photos at all.
2. Take the time to select the best wedding photographer that you can have. Make sure that you are in agreement regarding the style of photography.
3. Don't give your wedding photographer a long list of must have photos that you printed from the Internet. You will only hinder the photographer's creativity and the capture of true spontaneous photographs. Hire a photographer with a style that you like and then give him or her artistic freedom to capture your wedding day photography.
4. If you are going to have a ceremony outdoors please plan it away from the harsh sun. Shaded areas and afternoon sunlight are best.
5. Try to have an engagement session with the same photographer that will photograph your wedding. It will allow you to interact with the photographer before your wedding day and will help the photographer evaluate your best angles.
6. Plan enough time for your photographic session. Even if the wedding photographer is good he or she won't be able to give you wonderful photos in just five minutes.
7. Take your time to do your hair and make up and to take care of all the details so you look good and fresh. The wedding day is not the time to try new makeup or a new hair look. If possible hire a professional hair and makeup artist and have a trial session before the wedding.
8. Plan your photo session for afternoon or evening light unless it is an overcast day. The light will be better and you will end up with beautiful photos. Contrary to popular belief midday sunny time is the worst time to take photos.
9. Please don't forget to rest well the day before the wedding and eat and stay hydrated during the day. If you are tired, thirsty or hungry it will show up in your photos.
10. Don't make photography of groups the entire focus of your wedding day. A few group photos are ok to record the friends and relatives at the wedding. There is nothing more boring that a wedding album full of group photos.
11. Be yourself. The goal of the wedding photographer is to capture the true you. If the photos are nice but show a fake person you won't be happy.
12. Have fun and treat the photographer like a human being. Enjoy your day, smile a lot and relax.